The winds of change are all around us, and it was about time that governments got on board with these. The Tamil Nadu government, in an attempt to digitise the whole process, have started the application of the TNPDS Ration card and is currently receiving applications submitted online and is even going as far as to distribute ration cards through an online mode.
How ration card benefits people?
Over the years, the ration card has become more than just a piece of document. It has, on several occasions, been deemed as a lifesaver. There are roughly about 5,80,298 ration card holders in Tamil Nadu.
The Ration cardholders have basically urged the Government of Tamil Nadu to convert their sugar option family cards into a much greater necessity – rice option cards.
Types of Digital ration card available to people
There are, essentially, four types of ration cards available for the people of Tamil Nadu on an online portal. The list of different ration cards is as follows:
- Light green cards are issued for rice and other commodities from the Fair Price shops (FPS)
- White cards are basically issued for extra 3 kg sugar over the prescribed quota
- A No Commodity card is issued for people who are not entitled to draw any commodity from ration shops
- Khaki cards are issued to the police personnel up to the rank of inspectors.
Objectives of the Tamil Nadu Digital Ration card
The main objectives of the digital ration card are as follows:
- Putting a stop on fraudulent practices
- Offering authentic information to the people
- Conversion will essentially save paper costs
- Printing and distribution costs of the ration card will be prevented
- Online distribution of ration card will be a lot less time-consuming
- Residents will have to only apply for a ration card online which will be beneficial and happen with a lot less difficulty
- The entire process of applying for a ration card will provide a lot more transparency to the people
Necessary Documents to have to apply for the Tamil Nadu Digital ration card
- Aadhar card
- PAN card
- Recent passport size photos
- Bank passbook
- Caste or category certificate
- Income certificate
- Electricity bill
The application form online
- Visit the official website of the TNPDS department.
- Click on the Smart card application option which is present on the home page
- Register at the portal by filling in the necessary information
- Attach all the necessary documents
- Add family member details, gas connections details and declaration
- Click on Submit
- A reference number will be generated
- Keep the form details safe in a PDF format for future reference.
Summing it up
Ration card, over the years, has become a more streamlined effort. No more standing in long queues with application forms, trying to get a document that is useful. Over the years, governments have paid heed to how tedious the whole procedure gets and have worked on streamlining it further. With the digitisation of the scheme, residents of Tamil Nadu can now breathe a sigh of relief, as the process could possibly not get easier than what it stands to be now.