One of the things on the mind of parents of daughters from poorer families in India is the wedding expenses. Traditionally, weddings are an expensive undertaking, and culturally they hold massive significance, and parents of girl children often tend to worry about the expenses the wedding may accrue. To alleviate the matter for families from poorer households in Jharkhand, the government of Jharkhand has initiated a solution – the Jharkhand Mukhyamantri Kanyadan Yojana.
Through the implementation of the scheme, the state government aims to offer financial assistance to poor families in the state which will assist them with their wedding preparations. The overarching aim of the scheme is to reduce the financial burden on the parents who have to put their lives savings together to arrange the wedding of their daughter.
About the Kanyadan Yojana
The scheme aims to support poor people in the state to put together a dignified wedding for their daughters. This help will be extended to people who cannot afford the cost of marriage. The Jharkhand state government will offer financial assistance of ₹30,000 to each girl beneficiary.
For decades, the birth of a girl child has been frowned upon by poorer families, simply because they assume that they would now have to put together a wedding for the child, the expenses of which can skyrocket in no time. This fear of future expenses leads poorer families towards more drastic outcomes like female feticide.
Through the implementation of the scheme, the state government aims to reassure the people of the state that having a girl child will not disrupt their life’s savings and that the birth of a girl child should be encouraged with the same vigour as that of a boy child.
How to apply for the Kanyadan Yojana?
In order to apply for the scheme, the applicant has to follow these steps:
- The applicant has to download the Mukhyamantri Kanyadan yojana form. To download the form, visit official website.
- The form will appear as shown here:
- The applicant can download the form and fill the Mukhyamantri Kanyadan yojana form
- The candidate can submit the duly filled application form along with the required documents at the Department of Social and women’s welfare, the government of Jharkhand.
Eligibility criteria for the scheme:
- The applicant must be a permanent resident of the Jharkhand state
- The annual income of the family of the applicant from all possible sources should not exceed more than ₹72,000
- The bride and groom must be of a minimum legal age of marriage. The age of the girl must be above 18 years while the age of the boy must be above 21 years.
- No member of the applicant’s family must be a government employee – neither for the state nor for the central government.
- The financial assistance is not applicable in case of re-marriage, however, widows can avail of the scheme benefits in case of remarriage.
Summing it up
Through the implementation of a progressive scheme, the people of Jharkhand would no longer have to worry about the daughter’s wedding expenses. This takes care of their worries and slowly but steadily, the social stigma surrounding the birth of a girl child will subside.