The social structure of India has been complex for decades and the discrimination against women isn’t uncommon or unheard of. But as we turn towards a new decade, it is time the government takes appropriate actions to eradicate this century-old discrimination and move towards a newer, better India.
Taking the first step towards establishing gender equality in Uttar Pradesh, the State government has initiated the Kanya Sumangla Yojana.
What is the Kanya Sumangla Yojana?
The Kanya Sumangla Yojana enables new opportunities for young girls while also providing social security to girls and women across the state. The state and the nation as a whole are aiming to reduce female feticide and child marriages, the Kanya Sumangla Yojana works as an empowering scheme, battling societal stereotypes and bringing out the best in the daughters of the nation. They get to achieve their full potential and get to lead independent lives.
The main areas of focus for the scheme are:
- Offering financial assistance to the girl child
- Help the girls of UP state to attain education and to be empowered enough to have a voice of their own in the society
- To allow a platform for equal sex ratio and to eliminate female foeticide and develop positive thinking regarding girl child in the society
Features of the scheme
The prime features of the scheme are mentioned as follows:
- The beneficiary will receive a sum of ₹15,000 in total by the state government
- There are six installments with equal amounts credited in favour of the girl child.
Eligibility for the Kanya Sumangla Yojana
- To be eligible for the scheme, the beneficiary’s family should be a resident of Uttar Pradesh and should have a permanent residency certificate for which ration card/Aadhar card/ voter ID card/ electricity/telephone bill will be considered valid.
- The annual income of the family should be less than ₹3 lakhs
- Only two girls from a family will be covered under the scheme
- If a family has adopted an orphan girl child, a maximum of two girls, including the biological children of the family and those adopted legally will be beneficiaries of the scheme.
Documents needed to avail the Kanya Sumangla Yojana
In order to avail the benefits of the scheme, the following documents would be required:
- The parent or the guardian’s Aadhaar Card
- Ration card
- Bank details and a Passbook
- Proof of the annual income
- Passport size photos of the parents and of the girl child
- In case the girl child has been adopted, there should be a legitimate certificate of adoption that must be submitted.
How to open an account with the Kanya Sumangla Yojana?
The applications for the Kanya Sumangala Yojana are currently being accepted and they can be opened online. This would be done via the official Chief Minister Kanya Sumangla Yojana website.
Here is a guide for you to follow so that your registration with the scheme is a lot more seamless for you.
- Enter the official website. Click here.
- Once you click on it, the homepage of the website will open up in front of you.
- If you are an existing user on the website, you can simply log in using the Login ID and the password followed by clicking on the “Sign in” button. However, if you are a new user, you must read the terms and conditions and then click on “I agree” to sign up. The terms and conditions will appear as follows
- Once you have done that, there will be a registration form that opens up. You would have to fill up the registration form and click on “Send OTP” to verify your details.
- Once you enter the next page, you would have to fill in the OTP or the One Time Password you just received on your registered mobile number.
- This way you would be successfully verified on the website.
- You then got to login on the website using your ID and Password.
- Fill in the Kanya Sumangala Yojana registration form with all the necessary information with all the details to the utmost accuracy and then proceed to click “Submit”.
In a developing nation, regressive ideologies have no place. Bridging the gender gap is essential. The girl child, when empowered, will attain heights of success, not only for herself but for those around her as well. When this would be carried out throughout the nation, the impact influential women will have on the society would be immensely positive and prosperous for the nation as a whole.
Therefore, the Kanya Sumangla Yojana is promising to have a progressive impact on the nation in the years to come. A brighter future, not only for the girl child but for India as a whole, lies not too far ahead in time.