If 2020 has taught us anything, it is the importance of healthcare. Prioritizing health and health-related costs has surfaced to be extremely important in a soon-to-be post-pandemic world. However, healthcare has been on the horizon for those in Goa for quite a while.
The Deen Dayal Swasthya Seva Yojana or DDSSY is a health insurance scheme launched by the government of Goa on the occasion of Goa Statehood day – 30th May 2016. The new health insurance scheme is said to benefit people residing in Goa for 5 and more years.
About the Deen Dayal Swasthya Seva Scheme
The DDSSY scheme will offer medical backing for the residents of Goa irrespective of their financial status. Goa happens to be the first state to have a state-wide health insurance scheme for people from all walks of life. According to the implementation strategy for the scheme, any person living in Goa for 5 years and more can enroll in the scheme.
New registrations for the DDSSY are open and the applicants can apply online for the scheme by simply visiting any of the designated centres along with the required documents. Those who are already enrolled in the scheme and are looking for renewals for the period of 1st of September 2020 to 31st August 2021 can renew their schemes at www.goaonline.gov.in.
What does the scheme offer?
As per the scheme revised for 2021, a family of up to 3 members will be provided with a health insurance cover of ₹2.5 lakh while the family of 4 or more members will be provided with a health insurance cover of ₹4 lakh.
Eligibility for the scheme
- Any person residing in the state of Goa for 5 years or more is considered eligible for enrollment under the DDSSY.
The family of the eligible person is defined as his/her spouse and unmarried children and dependent parent(s)/ In-laws (in case the eligible family person is a female). This family unit cannot be split and if split, would not be considered eligible for the scheme.
- The central/state government employees and their families are covered under governmental medical reimbursement and would therefore not be considered eligible under the DDSSY.
List of documents needed to enroll for the Deen Dayal Swasthya Seva Yojana
The following are the photocopies of original documents that need to be attached with filled
- Aadhaar card/enrollment acknowledgment slip of every family member who wishes to be included in the scheme above the age of 5 years (compulsory document).
- Residence of proof of the eligible person and all documents issued a minimum of 5 years ago
B. residence certificate – stating 5 years in Goa
C. Voter iD
D. Driving license
- Ration card to define family.
Having health insurance surely is the safest way to enter a new year. If you and your family reside in Goa and are looking for a scheme that covers the entire family, then the Goa government has your back.